Sunday, September 18, 2011

Making Friends

As I was cleaning around the house today a song by The White Stripes came on Pandora called "We are going to be friends". It's innocent sound and lyrics made me immediately think of the budding friendships that I am able to witness lately.

It is something to behold when you see young children meet other 'strange' children, introduce themselves in only a way a child can ("what are you doing?", "come sit by me", "do this after me, ok?" - demanding yet gentle initiation into friendship), become instant 'best friends' for maybe 3 weeks and then decide they just aren't right for each other! I often have parents ask me why their child is not "friends" with another child in our class and often the answer is "I don't know" because only that 3 - 6 year old mind really understands why this time when their friend chose to do something, it bothered them and that was that, and they have now washed their hands of the situation. Nine times out of ten they will find their friendship again next week. :)

I have not done any research in the field, but I would assume that the human mind starts working in conjunction with morals and beliefs and likes and dislikes in other humans at a very early age, thus the reason we have had friends since the age of six. I believe that this is also a great time to start conversations of expectations and characteristics that make a 'friend'. Many of these conversations go on in our classroom on an individual and whole group basis.

The children in our classroom have a real 'family' feel to them - one for all and all for one type of thing. They are always willing to help one another, befriend someone new, comfort those who are having a bad day and concern for those who haven't been at school or those who have made a bad choice during the school day. Thus the reason why the lyrics to the song really made me think of Room 102...

We are going to be friends

1 comment:

  1. Jack Johnson on the Curious George soundtrack does a great job with the song as well.

    ReplyDelete